Friday 23 January 2009

Slumdog...Winner


Alright, there are ten nominations for a film that has visible Indian talent and support but I am not too elated at the news. You may call me a cynic but I regret the fact that a wonderful film like, ‘Slumdog…’ will show India in bad light. I agree the term ‘bad light’ might not earn its full credential at the usage but nevertheless it does describe my state of mind at this uneventful situation.

I do understand that it means quite a lot to the whole crew, the music fraternity for A. R.Rahman’s exceptional music but I still can’t get out of my head the fact that Rahman’s given better music at other occasions too; however it went unnoticed in the past. I believe the key to these nominations this time was the fact that the movie had been promoted by a foreign name ‘Fox’ which has undoubtedly been excellent at its job but it raises that prickly feeling of why wasn’t it all ours?

Our talent has once again been exploited to the optimum and we fail to realize the need of the hour is to market ourselves better than what the situation actually is; just like the entire west has been doing…

I am happy, really really happy for people who’d get these awards but really sad for the rest of India which would smile at these nominations and still feel helpless at being able to do nothing about the poverty ridden, uneducated downtrodden Indian society.

If only I could make a difference... perhaps I even feel a tangible jealousy from those directors, writers and producers who got on with this concept and tried to show something so true to the entire world…… :l

6 comments:

Sh'shank said...

One- its not an Indian film
Two- whatever is shown is shown is like it is
Three- I think you are just pissed cause you didnt direct it...

Fourth- The concept is a book Q & A by an Indian

~P~ said...

@ka pricky: Thanks for stopping by dude...unfortunately u got it right this time. I m jealous n pissed.

I agree and already know the first secnd and fourth points ;)

Denae said...

Cannot wait to see this movie. I've heard sooo much about it from people all over the world. Must be powerful.

Sh'shank said...

Have updated Desi Reruns

Pavitra said...

I loved the movie...I thought it was very subtely done and was very very realistic. I don't think it showed India in a bad light...in fact I think it honestly managed to show everything realistically while maintaining that thats not all of india and even the slums shape people into wonderful human beings.

Denae said...

Hi P just checking on you. How's things?...